This year for the first time, the competition is travelling to 10 cities around the world, with the first event taking place in London yesterday (7th February) and the Final at the NTT DATA headquarters in Tokyo on 15th March!
In the UK, NTT DATA has partnered with Innovate Finance, which ensured it had some strong FinTech entries. RMA attended with some of our clients from global financial companies to hear the 11 shortlisted startups pitching their innovative ideas:
- Wirex – a global blockchain personal banking platform with Bitcoin debit card
- GiPStech – affordable indoor localisation technology
- CityFalcon – personalised financial news feed
- OvalMoney – an app that improves personal financial literacy, tracking and savings
- Money Mover – powerful and intuitive payments platform
- DreamQuark – an AI platform that develops through deep machine learning to analyse large datasets
- Tallysticks – an invoice financing portal leveraging blockchain technology
- Everledger – a global, digital ledger that users blockchain to track and protect valuable assets
- eMemory – a digital legacy platform to share and protect personal documents
- Sedicii – a secure authentication and personal data protection & privacy tool
- RiskSave – an online Robo-Advisor solution to enable intuitive decisions and make savings
The winning pitch was by Jessica Ferguson from Everledger, who told a compelling story about the need to use new technology including blockchain, to turn valuable objects such as Art, Diamonds and Fine Wine into financial assets. Host Tom Winstanley (LinkedIn, Twitter) from NTT DATA Digital, NTT DATA Corporations’s Kotaro Zamma and Innovate Finance’s Janine Hirt presented Jessica with her award.
Everledger will now have the chance to pitch at the Grand Finale in Tokyo on 15th March with NTT DATA covering the travel expense for two people. The Grand Finale winner will receive support from NTT DATA for the development of their proposed new business.
We wish Everledger every success at the Grand Finale in Tokyo and hope to see a repeat of some of the success stories that previous winners have experienced, including the 2014 FinTech service winner that made Internet banking more convenient and the 2015 winner who has launched a collaboration service for electric power providers.
To find out more about the Open Innovation Business Contest you can: